9/20/2006

To Eat or Not to Eat


I became a vegetarian about 3 years ago. I was at dinner with some friends in Miami at a ridiculous surf n turf sort of place where everything on the menu had had parents. The meal was fantastic: ribs, lobster, steak, porkchops. If we ate it, it had a zoologic name. But at the end of the meal, something happened. I sat back and looked at our work. The table was covered in shells, bones, and claws. As I glanced down at my full belly and back at the table, I was grossed out. Maybe I was more disgusted with my own gluttony rather than the fact that we had consumed things that were gluttonous consumers themselves. This was 3 years ago and except for rare ingestion of sushi at big social gatherings, I've been pretty conscientious about my diet. I even kept vegan for about 8 months this year. But I like what happened in Florida. I like having made decisions based on strong gut feelings and not the overthinking that I'm ever so prone to do. I stopped being vegan because it didn't turn my stomach to eat eggs or dairy. It made sense on the overthinking plane that if you didn't animals, you probably shouldn't eat anything ejected by them. But then it happened again. Yesterday, I was cooking up some eggs when after cracking one open, TWO yolks came out. I'm not sure if anyone has ever experienced this, but I was utterly grossed out again - the feelings of Miami rushed over me. This is the kind of base response I want. I want to make decisions based on strong gut feelings not vague, I should do this because of a, b, and c. Anyway, needless to say, I'm off of eggs for a while.

2 comments:

David said...

Read This

Unknown said...

i thought the yolk was embryo? either way, i don't think eating placenta is any less gross.